Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's about time...

I got my ears pierced for the first time when I was in fifth grade and thankfully for me, the styles had changed from when my mom got hers done. Her ears were pierced smack-dab in the middle of her lobe, I was lucky to get mine down farther with the intention that maybe someday, I would end up with a 100 more piercings.

Well, it wasn't until about eighth grade or so that I thought I would like a second set of holes. I'd just seen this crazy girl I knew, pierce her own eyebrow and thought if she could do that, I can pierce my own ears. And I did. Only after staring at them for a few days I realized that they were uneven and I took them out never to have them again. Or so I thought. If you looked at my ears, you would have thought I had second holes and just never wore earrings in them, the holes never went away in the front. In the back they'd sealed themselves up tight. Randomly, I would attempt to stick an earring through with a bit of pain and no luck.

I am not quite sure what made me want the second set of earrings again, but its been on my mind a lot lately. Could have been my friends getting tattoos, which I don't think I can handle. Who knows, the only thing I know is that I wanted it done. I had considered driving down to the local Clair's a few times, but kept imagining myself crying in front of a bunch of 15 year old emo girls and their mothers, and I just couldn't do it.

Today was a new day, I had no plans, was cruising around with the dog and really didn't have any reason not to. I sat in the parking lot talking to Gabby on the phone for a little while (avoiding the 15 year old emo girl and her mother who'd just walked in). Finally, I walked in (after the emo girl had gone) and asked, "Do you do ear piercing?"
"We sure do! Would you like to take a look at the earrings?"
"I guess so. I want to get my second holes done again. I did them myself 10 years ago and they were uneven, so I'd rather let you correct it."
I chose the simple 3mm white gold balls, figuring they will look the best for the next 6 weeks. I signed a form 4 times, along with initialing by 6 other items, they are apparently afraid of getting sued by some lady who's kids ear falls off. And after they checked my id to ensure that I was really a 26 year old wuss, it was time to hoist myself up into the big chair and get started.

After the girl (who was much younger than me, and had more earrings) washed her hands, she got out new piercing things for the guns, loaded my new earrings into them, and cleaned my ears. It all came down to a count of 1... 2... 3! And I winced less than when the mean nurse steals my blood at the hematologist. I couldn't believe that I had waited so long! I am such a wuss, and I didn't even cry!

I know, I know, you can all leave me comments about how silly I am, and about how I managed to get this much of a story out of one minute spent at the local Claire's with the emo girls, but I am glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment