Sunday, February 8, 2009

Disenchanted in Detroit

It started months ago, when I first started using my Facebook page. I was chatting with a friend whom I found out was getting a divorce, and I was sad about this news. I don't think they had been married long and were still quite young. I just thought it was awful they couldn't get it to work. And then all hell broke loose. After that, I started noticing other friends relationship status' more. I started finding out that people I thought had perfectly good marriages were divorced or going down that road. And I am not one to usually dwell on things, but this really had me wondering. What the Fuck?

I thought back, I remembered that as a child it was beginning to become more common to have two sets of parents. Or at least ones that were split up. My parents didn't divorce until I was about 14, but Mikey's parents called it quits after like 15 years of marriage or something when Mikey was like 6. And all of my friends had a room at Mom's and one at Dad's too. It wasn't weird to ask my mom if I could stay at Crystal's Dads for the weekend.

Is that where it all went wrong? Did our parents finally feel free to divorce and ended the stigma? But worst of all, did our parents new found freedom suddenly instill in us that we can set our expectations higher? That we don't have to work at it, we can quit if we want to?

I have been with Mikey for 12 years. When we got into our early 20's and our friends started getting married, we always got the nudges and nods, and the "You're next!" And we'd laugh cause we just weren't ready. I wanted to be done with school, and we wanted to be sure we had a place of our own. In the last year or so all of our friends that we rented tuxedos for, and bought many a gift for, started splitting up. And now, I am thinking I am so glad we waited. In fact part of me doesn't even want to bother. We have a good thing going, why mess it up with some formal contract. That thought alone is still pretty sad though.

No comments:

Post a Comment