Thursday, January 12, 2012

Zombies!

One of my other favorite things is life are zombies... Which I guess makes it my favorite undead thing.  I'm not really sure how I got into zombies as much as I have. I have always liked movie monsters, even as a kid. I think my resurgence into zombie came when I first found out about The Zombie Survival Guide. A friend of mine had it on her shelf and from there I just fell in love all over again.

Since then, we've tried to write our own zombie movies, even had parts as extras in a zombie flick that never saw the light of day, and pretty much spent too many hours to count thinking of the zombie apocalypse and what to do in the event of.  I have joked with my boyfriend time and time again about "when the zombies rise..." So much so, that at Christmas time when he was looking online at different things, he actually considered buying me a box of Hornady's Zombe Max 12 ga. shells for my new shotgun. I know, pure love right?  The only reason he didn't is because of the cost of shipping one box of ammo.



And talking about ammunition for zombie slaying makes me think of one of Mikey's new interests. 3-Gun competitions. It's basically a modern take on the old Cowboy Shootouts, only this competition uses rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The object of the competition is to travel along a course and shoot targets with the specified weapon, scoring more points for accuracy and fastest time.  It just so turns out that one of the rangers here in Michigan that offer such a thing, is the Blue Water Sportsman Association.  And what makes his new interest even more interesting to me?  They have an annual zombie shootout! That is just about cool enough to make me want to start practicing!  I am an okay shot with all three weapons but I know I could be a lot better. 

Most of you probably don't share in my enthusiasm for actually taking shots at pictures of zombies.  Here are two more fun things related to zombies!

I recently purchased and will own in about 3 days, this cute and adorable, dismember-able plush zombie.  I have seen him on the ThinkGeek website for a while now, and thought that it could be cute to own him some day.  I was looking at my car the other day as I was cleaning it up a bit and thought, hmm, it would be really cute to have some sort of cool something to ride along on that flat surface ya know near the rear window. (And yes that incomplete, incomprehensible thought is mine, all mine).  And then it hit me, I want a cute zombie to ride along with me.  I checked out a few stores in the area, but soon realized that I would have to just buy the one at thinkgeek.com and be done with it.  And so I did, and it turns out he was on sale. 

The other fun thing is this!  The New Way Bar in Ferndale is having a Zombie Prom! March 31st, 2012 Featuring, "The Graveyard Whores" w/ Nuke & The Hellriders, HI-Fi Hellcats, Murder Party, The Aquanetts and The Loving Dead. Also including performances from "SIN CITY DOLLS" burlesque girls from Las Vegas Nevada.  And a art show from "Jerry Shirts"! Best dressed Zombie King and Queen contest with prizes! $8.00 at the door - 18 & up welcome - doors at 8:30pm. I have no affiliations with this, so I am not necessarily plugging them (btw, what kind of a business lists their only website as a MySpace page?), but a few of us may be going and if you have any interest in any of the above mentioned things, maybe you would like to go too!

Well, that's about all I have as far as fun zombie related things.  They just seem to be on my mind a lot lately.  I guess I am going through withdrawals waiting for The Walking Dead to come back on television. And also, if you are not watching that show you are so missing out!  The zombies are coming you know, and you must be prepared!   Oh! And I am also waiting for the 3rd installment of the Newsflesh series to come out!  Feed and Deadline are probably the best zombie fiction books out there! Mira Grant is amazing, and if you haven't read either of these books do yourself a favor and pick them up! The 3rd book will be out some time this spring. I stopped paying attention to the actual date after I pre-ordered it for my nook.

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment