Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Where Do I Begin...

You are probably used to me saying this by now, but its been too long since I last wrote on this blog.  I have been keeping myself quite busy lately with another blog, Diesel Stomping, where I write about walks that Diesel and I have been going on.  It's been a lot of fun and its getting some good reception.  I have also been attending the Detroit Derby Girls Ref! U course and trying to volunteer my time with them as much as possible.  And last but not least, I am trying to get back into shape again.  Something you can read about in my other blog, Back to Little.

So what's this about the Detroit Derby Girls, you ask?  Well, about two years ago, a co-worker of mine hung a poster for the DDG in her cubical.  We started talking about it, and that led to Gabby and I heading up to Flint one day to check out the Flint City Derby Girls.  That piqued my interest in derby, I had to learn more!  A few months later, Gabby and I headed down to the historic Masonic Temple in Detroit and that's where I fell in love with the sport. 

Masonic Temple Detroit
When you first walk into the 85 year old building, its like you are taking a step back in history. Through the revolving doors, into the magnificent main lobby, and onto the ancient elevators up to the 4th floor.  From there you hand off your ticket, go down a corridor, have your hand stamped and walk through the doorway that opens up to the uniquely designed Drill Hall.  The Drill Hall was constructed with a "floating floor" so that the drill marches would not disturb the rest of the temple, and also give relief to the feet of the marchers. 

There is not a lot of room in the drill hall, unfortunately, but seating is available if you get there early, or you can brave it and sit on the floor in the "suicide seats."   Feeling the rush of the skaters as they skate pass, and hearing the crowd go crazy at every grand slam, is completely worth the experience.  You feel like you are participating in some underground activity like Fight Club or something.  The skaters all have fun aliases and they wear fun uniforms that show of their unique personalities.  And even though they are playing against one another, you can still feel the comradery between them. 

The next season I went ahead and purchased two season tickets.  They were so popular with the fans the season before, that nearly every bout would sell out.  I had to be sure I was going to get tickets!  Of course, that was the season that the DDG moved to Cobo Arena.  They had many more seats available, and I was able to get some pretty good size groups to come with me to many of the bouts.  I was geeked to even start making some friends within the teams and I prided myself on getting "the wave" started at a few of them as well!

Once the season came to an end, I knew what I had to do.  The first opportunity that came along for me to sign up and be a volunteer, I did so!  Would I love to play the game? Sure, but I need to get in shape, and besides that I am a bit of a dork, so why not add my mad number skills to the Stat Army.

I have been taking the course for a few weeks now, and I am really starting to learn so much more about the game.  And let me tell you, watching the game from the inside of the track is amazing!  And on top of that, I am also making new friends.  I am hoping that once I am officially part of the team I can start traveling with them and making some of their appearances as well.  This might just be the chance I get to see this great country before I'm too old to enjoy it! 

As I get more involved in the DDG, I will be sure to check back and let you all know how its going.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment